Poetry of a long lost poet


Monday, October 24, 2011

Hlavní Nádraží


A man leans out a train window
vlak, the Czech word for train
like Viola loving her bottom lip
for a split second, vlak

He holds out a nectarine, orange
against the green enamel of the train

With his right hand he freely
pours water from a bottle
washing the fruit and again, rubbing
the skin clean with his left thumb

From across the tracks I watch him
and realize how strongly I yearn
to be cared for like a peach
plum, or even a nectarine

Slowly, with enough care to feel
the delicacy of a woman's skin
and the softness of fruit beneath it

My train pulls away and his hand
reaches back inside to hand this gift
to a child, his wife, or perhaps just to himself

I like the idea of someone doing this
for me, a short moment of romance
at hlavní nádraží